Saturday, February 13, 2010

A New Beginning - Day 44

It has been what seems an eternity since the last time I posted.  This year has proven to be a whirlwind of emotions.  In the last nine years, I have advanced my career in ways that many people only dream of.  I know that sounds cocky and ridiculous, but I promised to be honest in my blogging and this is my truth.

What began as a rebound job after a 9-11 layoff has proven to be the first of many smart moves on my part. 
At that time I was a young, single mom just trying to find a break.  I took a chance with a small start-up company that seemed to give off a good vibe and gave me something that I hadn't had in a long time, hope. I began answering phones, quickly moved into technical support, operations and then sales.  I loved selling.  I loved the challenge and the monetary benefits that came along with being a great salesperson.  I would be lying if I said I didn't also enjoy the recognition that came with winning that ground breaking sale that brought your company to the next level.  I found energy in selling.  It was a thrill and one that I miss.  In four short years, I became the manager of a small sales team and before I knew it, my small start-up company was acquired by one of the largest corporations in the world.  Instantly I was honored to take a Director position in sales and before I knew it I had made a name for myself.  I worked hard.  Probably harder than I had ever worked before and I loved it.  I love saying that I work for this company.  I love the people I work with.  Our corporation thrives on the work hard, play  hard concept and I fit well into this environment.

Until now.  While I still fit and the sky is the limit for me, my heart is no longer in it.  I just had my third child and with this has brought a new set of challenges.  Since my last post I have been toying with the idea of leaving my job and reinventing myself.  I went to San Diego last week for our Annual Sales Meeting and was honored with the VP award, for the third year in a row.  While this is a great award and highly recognized throughout the corporation, I just feel as though the more I work, the more awards I get, the more I am away from the people that really need me and that is my family. 

So, this last week I turned in my letter of resignation.  March 12, 2010 will be my last day of employement.  Some people have called me crazy for throwing such a promising career in the garbage.  They may be right.  I hope that I am doing the right thing.  All I know is that as sad as it may be, it feels right to me.  I have been working my ass off since I was 17 years old.  And I don't plan to stop that now.  In fact, I think I will be working harder than ever staying home with my kids and supporting my husband with his growing business.

So my journey is changing but my focus remains strong.  Get back into shape, have more relations with my husband, save money(or not since I no longer will have money to save), be the best mom that I can be and do what I can to be the best me possible.   

No comments:

Post a Comment